Great Northern Services was founded in 1978 with one employee and one small grant to provide housing rehabilitation services to clients in Burney, CA.
Our staff has over a combined 175 years of experience managing GNS programs and each are recognized professionals in their fields on local, state and national levels. They have personal, direct experience with the local circumstances and needs of targeted income groups throughout the county. Working together, GNS continues to provide services to the cities of Dunsmuir, Mt. Shasta, Weed, Dorris, Fort Jones, Etna, Yreka, Tulelake, Montague and the County of Siskiyou for their Economic Development, Housing and Rehabilitation and Community Infrastructure Programs. Individuals are helped through county-wide programs for food, energy and weatherization assistance along with HIV/AID prevention assistance.
Over the past 37 years GNS has had a positive impact in Siskiyou County with the following grant/contract funds:
- 17 Years of Economic Development – 114 Business Loans in the amount of 9.5M dollars from resources from the California Housing and Community Development in EDBG and OTC Loans. This has resulted in over 400 jobs at a cost of $21,600 per loan.
- 37 Years of Housing Rehabilitation – over 300 homes and over 25M dollars to cities and the county resourced from the California Housing and Community Development (CDBG) in STBG and RLA Loans.
- 27 Years of Community Infrastructure – all 10 Siskiyou County jurisdictions have applied for and received funding from California Housing and Community Development for over 18M dollars.
- GNS has collectively recirculated $2.3 million earned from loan payments back into our communities.
- 20 Years of Food Commodities and Emergency Food Distribution – Delivery every other month to 18 sites helping over 556,000 people with their basic food needs. 11 Emergency Food Pantry Sites assisted at a total of 178,600 people. Two Soup kitchens served 371,520 meals assisting 143,000 people.
- 25 Years of Section 8 Rental and Landlord Assistance – Serving 5,500 Families and landlords for a total dollar amount of $7.6M circulating into the County. This program is now run out of Shasta County, call 530-225-5160.
- 27 years of Energy and Weatherization Assistance – over 62,500 households have secured energy assistance for a total of over $25M dollars and over 9,000 homes have received weatherization improvements for a total of $31.5M dollars.
- 20 Years of HIV/AID Assistance – 630 clients have received assistance for a total of over $3.7M
On September 15, 2014 the Boles Fire in Weed completely consumed our historic office building on School Hill along with company vehicles, food and supplies inventories. As of September 17, 2014 offices were relocated to 310 Boles Street in Weed and all programs were up and running.