Dear Community Members,
You can count on Great Northern to continue to provide you with ongoing services and meet some of your needs during these challenging times. We are all learning what is needed, and finding new ways to meet those needs safely as each day passes. Thank you for your ongoing input, patience, and questions.
“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.” -Helen Keller
Together, we are facing an unprecedented situation. The uncertainty surrounding the coronavirus is affecting all of our families, businesses, communities, and our way of life.
Our hearts go out to all who been impacted by the virus, either directly or indirectly. Here is an excellent source of up-to-date information on the virus and positive actions to take to stay protected: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html.
If you need to contact us:
- To promote social distancing for your safety and the safety of the community, we recommend you contact us by phone: (530) 938-4115 ext. 114 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday thru Thursday
- You can email us
- You can message us on Facebook
- We have set up an intercom system in our front lobby for limited-contact assistance, but we highly encourage you to use other means of contacting us.
Ongoing services for you and your neighbors during these times:
- Senior Nutrition program: a drive-thru meal distribution system is taking the place of group meals and is available for those 60 and over at the City Park Upper Lodge 1315 Nixon Road Mt. Shasta, CA 96067, Tuesday thru Friday from 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The existing home bound delivery clientele continue to receive regular service.
- USDA Commodities and CSFP senior boxes: Distributions will still occur on the scheduled dates with sites utilizing either drive-up or home-delivery. Participants are still required to adhere to the income guidelines by self-certifying at the time of distribution. No documentation is required. Please contact us to learn about the procedure at the site nearest to you: (530) 938-4115 extension 128. Current income guidelines are available at: https://www.gnservices.org/programs-and-services/community-services/usda-food-commodities/
- Energy Assistance: The program continues to function as normal with slight changes to procedure to limit face-to-face contact. Applications are available through the USPS and can be requested on our website or over the phone. If you have questions or need help filling out an application, please call us and use extension 114. If that line is busy you may also try 119 or 137.
- Weatherization Assistance: This service is currently still available, however all clients with work scheduled in their homes have been given the option to postpone services.
- Business Loans: Existing and potential business owners who may be interested in the Community Development Block Grant loan/grant programs, or our Rural Microenterprise Assistance Program, are encouraged to contact us by phone or email. Please email Seata Madison at email@example.com or call (530) 938-4115 extension 113 for your business assistance needs.
If these services can be of help to yourself or your family please consider making use of them. As for us, we will stay as nimble as possible, adapt to the situation in order to provide help in any way we can.
What can the community do?
- Share information about available services with your friends and neighbors
- Consider volunteering with us once social distancing measures no longer apply
- Make a financial contribution to help now
- Follow us on Facebook or subscribe to our email newsletter
Marie-Josée Wells, Executive Director and the GNS Team
Great Northern Services (GNS)
Weaving a stronger community, together…